Control: tag -1 - moreinfo

On Mon, 2018-02-12 at 22:24 +0100, Gunnar Thorburn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Creating this file with COMPRESS=xz worked fine
> /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/compress
>
> Obviously, with xz there is plenty of space left. There was a little
> warning though (see below).
>
> Generating kernel u-boot image... done.
> Flashing kernel (using 2050440/2097152 bytes)... done.
> Flashing initramfs (using 2870792/4194304 bytes)... done.
> W: APT had planned for dpkg to do more than it reported back (0 vs 7).
>    Affected packages: flash-kernel:armel initramfs-tools:armel
>

> Yes, this system has been upgraded several time. I think your web page
> even said that that is the correct/only way to do it.
>
> I guess installing Stretch does COMPRESS=xz on its own.
>
> Thank you so much. My problem is now solved. But perhaps xz could be
> part of the upgrade process.

It seems to me that there are two bugs:

1. flash-kernel gave a useless hint to use MODULES=dep, when that was
already the current configuration.

2. It didn't give the useful hint to use COMPRESS=xz, or make that
configuration change itself.

Now that I think about it, initramfs-tools does allow other packages to
override the configuration for mkinitramfs through shell scripts in
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf-hooks.d.  This seems like a good reason
to do that.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
friends: People who know you well, but like you anyway.