Simon McVittie <s...@debian.org> (2023-10-28):
> I believe dpkg-source defaults to the equivalent of `dpkg-source -I`
> for 3.0 (native) format packages, which ignores some files that would
> normally appear in git, notably .gitignore.
>
> I normally use
> DEBUILD_DPKG_BUILDPACKAGE_OPTS="-us -uc -I.*.sw? -I.sw? -I.git" which
> disables the default `-I` and instead excludes .git but not .gitignore,
> making the uploaded source package exactly equivalent to what's in git
> (and as a result, more dgit-friendly).

Alright, that explains it then.

> If you would prefer any subsequent uploads of d-i-related components
> to always exclude the .gitignore, I'll try to remember that for the
> future.

Until 3.0 (git) was used everywhere, it was very customary to have some
differences in successive uploads, depending on who was uploading, and
whether -i/-I was used; it's not a huge deal, and only means a little
noise when reviewing diffs.

Whatever is fine with SRMs is fine with me. (It just happened to
surprise me a little when I compared a local source build with what was
uploaded and is available on coccia, since I built from my local repo
as usual instead of thinking about downloading your source packages from
the get-go.)

Cheers,
--
Cyril Brulebois (k...@debian.org)            <https://debamax.com/>