On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 06:48:14PM +0100, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> Detecting hardware...
> Detected module '[Unknown]' for 'Unknown MATSHITACD-RW CW-8121'
> Detected modules 'sungem' for 'Apple Computer Inc. Uninorth GMAC'
> Trying to load module 'sungem'
> Could not load driver 'sungem' for 'Apple Computer Inc. Uninorth GMAC'
> Detected module 'ide-scsi' for 'Linux IDE-SCSI emulation layer'
> Trying to load module 'ide-scsi'
> Detected module 'usb-storage' for 'USB storage'
> Trying to load module 'usb-storage'
>
> then it keeps going: floppy, ide-detect, ide-floppy, ide-disk, ide-cd,
> isofs.
>
> then is says: 'Missing modules 'sungem, usb-storage'

This must be the problem. 2.4.22-3 says :

 kernel-patch-2.4.22-powerpc (2.4.22-3) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * Replaced GMAC driver by the SUNGMEM one.

So, instead of having GMAC builtin, SUNGEM (there is a typo in the
changelog) is also builtin, and not modular.

Ideally the powerpc-small should replace the powerpc config in some
future, and we should have more modular stuff, but until then, it would
be nice that whatever is in charge of loading modules doesn't die when
the stuff is builtin. This has come up before too.

Friendly,

Sven Luther