I have committed some code to group the countries in the chountrychooser
into regions. It adds a regionmap, which maps between country codes and
regions, and a countrylist, which orders the list.

There is some very gross trickery to make the countries under a region
be indented prettily, while working around some infelicites of debconf,
po-debconf, and probably cdebconf. It involves unicode non-breaking
spaces. And then there is the hacking to add the actual indents to the
translated strings from iso-codes. Nasty, and needs a better way.

Anyway, what needs to be done to complete this is:

1. Finish adding all the country codes to the regionmap.
   Uncategorised countries will be under "other" for now.
2. Add the strings from the regionmap to the po files.
   Until this is done, they are not translated, and so po-debconf
   does not translate the choices lists at all.

I can do 1. (eventually), but don't know how to deal with 2.

--
see shy jo