On Sat, 21 May 2022 13:33:02 +0800
Zhang Boyang <zhangboyang...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Indeed, I admit super-big-iso is a crazy idea, and a local mirror is
> more useful in most cases. I think there is a few special cases that a
> super-big-iso might be more useful.
>
> 1) Computers / Virtual Machines isolated from public internet or have no
> network at all. It is convenient to have such an ISO to install software
> on demand. A single file is much more convenient than setting up a local
> mirror. It's also easy to manage or verify integrity, if frequent
> updates are not needed.
>
> 2) Archival purposes. If someone (in future, for example, in 2042) want
> to install a very old debian system, he/she may grab the big ISO and all
> he/she need is that single file. Although it's not easy to grab the file
> in far future, but I guess there is always someone crazy enough to
> archive all files, isn't it? :P

Hi Zhang!

A very good idea!

I have local repositories mirrorred with debmirror, all versions.
Suddenly I found my archives of the old distributions were (almost) empty.

bo is lost
potato is lost
sarge is lost
etch is lost
lenny is lost

Upstream was deleted and debmirror, well, just mirrored them.

I spend several hours to find intact repositories for them globally, did not
succeed.

So having another way of keeping debian history for future generations is a
very good idea in my opinion!

Arne