Dear Jeroen and everybody,

here attached is an email I sent in September.

Yes, I did ask to ftp-masters clarifications about your proposal in
and never received a reply.

Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> While you indeed haven't got a later mail, you also didn't ask for one
> to the best of my knowledge (my memory isn't infallible, so I might be
> wrong, if so, I'm sorry, please correct me)...

yes, your memory failed  :-)
(you are in the CC of the attached email)

> I'm wondering what bit of my last few lines in the quoted email were
> unclear. While I specifically noted that removing mpeg encoding stuff
> might or might not be required, I explicitely said that stripping it
> anyway will make the whole pondering on whether it can be in the
> (source) package at all moot for the question whether mpeg encoding
> would be legal to ship on ftp.debian.org.

(sorry my english fails me here)

>To the best of my knowledge,
> mpeg encoding stuff is nowhere near the core funcionality of mplayer
> anyway, isn't it?

yes AFAIK mencoder cannot encode MPEG2 in this version (that is in NEW
queue)

> Of course, if this way is choosen and is turning out
> to work out, later inclusion of the mpeg encoding stuff in mplayer must
> be discussed with ftp-master prior to it happening -- we (as in, Debian
> users in general) just get to have a chance of a slightly crippled
> mplayer in the archive in the meanwhile.

I agree

> As in all cases, final verdict on whether a package will pass NEW
> is made at the time it's sitting in NEW and being processed by an
> ftp-master team member

Of course.

This is what I have been waiting for. For 880 days, roughly.

a.