On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Debian guarantees that it exists on debian systems.

No, we don't.  We guarantee it exists on Sarge.  It may or may not exist in
Etch and Sid in the future.

> > 1. It exists only on Linux-based OS's
> > 2. There is no gaurentee that it will continue to be there at all
> > 3. There is no guareteee that it will remain a filesystem in the future
> > even if it is there.
> > 4. There is no gaurentee that it exists at all.
> These points apply to the proposed tmpfs-based /run as well.

/run would have no other special function, so it is much more future-proof
than using /dev/shm for stuff it was not created for.

> > Sounds it sounds to me like it is a bad idea to use it.
> Only because you have no clue of what you are talking about.

That was uncalled for, and he gave much better argumentation than those YOU
provided.

  Henrique Holschuh