On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 04:16:30PM -0500, John Goerzen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 08:31:29PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > > Really, I think that getting patches in darcs from people that are using
> > > "darcs send" is not only easier for me as a maintainer, but also easier
> >
> > Much easier as storing the mail attachment under debian/patches? I doubt.
>
> Yes, indeed it is.  darcs send will send each original darcs record as a
> discrete change.  darcs apply can run in an interactive mode to let the
> person approve (or not) each individual patch.  The full commit log from
> the original person also comes along automatically.
>
> AND, there's no need to hack the Debian build infrastructure.
>
> > > for them as contributors.  Plus it is really easy for people that don't
> > > grok darcs to just use normal tools to edit Debian source packages,
> > > create diffs, NMU packages, or whatever -- and for me to integrate their
> > > changes later.  This is not the case for the other special-purpose patch
> > > tools.
> >
> > This does not really differ from the scenarios with patch management system.
>
> Yes it does.  If I don't understand patch tool X, I have to learn how to
> use patch tool X before I can even begin hacking.
>
> Nobody has to learn Darcs to hack on my packages.

Well if someone has to work on a "which of the applied patch broken
the package is such a way" kinda issue, he will have to, in order to
have access to the patches.
dpatch, quilt and others, in this case, make life easier (especially for
security support).

Mike