On Tue, Apr 24, 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Apport sends complete core dumps, which is a very bad idea. The dumps
> can be huge (for desktop applications they often grow beyond 200MB) and
> they can contain gazillions of sensitive information.

 But Apport is written already, and it's also the path that Windows
 crash report and Mozilla's talkback tools have taken; these
 corporations might not represent our ideals, but they present examples
 of deployed and working solutions.

 I don't think it's still 200 MB compressed, but some input from Ubuntu
 folks could help.

> Using a central server for symbol lookup like Ben proposed looks like a
> better idea. It needs gdb to be adapted or wrapped to access them
> correctly, though.

 Yes, it sounds like a good idea; I suppose it might offer less
 possibilities, but a good stack trace is often good enough.  However
 modifying gdb sounds like a lot of hard work.  I don't know how Apport
 works on the server side, but if this part of Apport could be made to
 run on the client and to fetch the relevant files, this might have all
 advantages of not sending the sensitive core dumps, not uploading too
 much data, and being available without too much development.

--
Loïc Minier