Just tossing my experience and personal opinion as a Linux user.

On Thu, 2014-08-28 at 14:40 +0100, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> previously on this list Bálint Réczey contributed:
>
> > Xfce is friendly enough, but it feels old compared to Gnome 3 and I
> > would like to attract new users before convincing them. It is much
> > easier than in the opposite order. :-)

That was my experience too. At my lab, most of my colleagues who have
looked at XFCE in its default configuration found it unattractive. Sure,
you can customize it (which is what I replied), but they just don't have
the time for that.

> I think you are reflecting a subset of users priorities. I've switched
> users from desktop to desktop and they don't care a jot about
> flashiness

See my point above. Flashiness no, but visual appeal definitely yes.

> in fact many like simple but pretty which is perfectly
> do-able with almost any window manager, what they hate is
>
> a) things moving too much that they can't find
>
> b) not being able to do what they want or things disappearing
>

> Looking Flashy is always enticing but not at any functional expense
> and limited performance expense.
>

> Gnome 3 is getting both a and b wrong.

IMHO, GNOME 3 in *classic mode* get it right. I use it daily and only
got positive comments from other Linux and non-Linux users. FYI, the DE
popularity in my lab is split between Unity (ahead by far), GNOME and
KDE. None of them is running XFCE to my knowledge.

However, I believe XFCE *could* be a good default DE for Debian, but
some efforts need to be made with regards to the default theme and
layout. Users do care about visual identity (or call it brand
recognition if you like), and currently XFCE in Debian does not have
any, I am afraid.