On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 11:42:17AM +0100, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> On Wednesday, 21 December 2022 11:01:07 CET Sedat Dilek wrote:
> > P.S.:  If you are Debian/unstable AMD64 user and are experienced
> > enough, you can try on YOUR OWN RISK.
> >
> > To pass daily dist-upgrades I did the following:
> >
> > [ Set all QT v5.15.6 packages on hold ]
> > root# VER="5.15..6" ; for p in $( dpkg -l | grep $VER | awk '/^ii/
> > {print $2}' ) ; do echo "[ $p ]" ; echo "$p" "hold" | dpkg
> > --set-selections ; done
>
> I must be sounding like a broken record player (by now), but:
>
> Stop using *dist-*upgrade by DEFAULT.

*AMEN* to that.

> And apparently it's (also) needed to say that apt/apt-get/aptitude tells you
> what it's about to do. If it's telling you that it'll remove (almost) all of
> KDE and you don't want that, you can say 'No' and not go through with that.
>
> The normal/safe-upgrade is what you should be using by default and only when
> you want to force something, you'd do a dist-/full-upgrade and then you
> evaluate what it's about to do and when you think "Yes, that's what I want",
> then and only then you go through with it.

Yes. Do apt upgrade to get the easy changes, try it again after it
finished. If it still wants to change something, THEN try apt
full-upgrade AND look what apt is suggesting to do. Use your own
judgement whether to allow apt full-upgrade to do what it intends to do.

You may also apt install manually some packages that apt upgrade won't
touch to see what the problem is. In many cases, it's just the change
from libfooX to libfooX+1 with a handful of affected packages, so you
can allow it togo ahead, but sometimes it's something like the current
situation that would deinstall half of your system.

It's called unstable for a reason, it's supposed to be broken once in a
while.

Greetings
Marc