Manoj Srivastava <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:14:45 -0400 (EDT), Walter Landry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> said:
> > The .orig.tar.gz files only have to be
> > purged of non-free stuff if that stuff can't be distributed at all.
> > AIUI, it is perfectly acceptable to have non-free stuff in the
> > .orig.tar.gz file that is removed by the debian patch.
>
>       Not if the orig.tar.gz is to live in main. And if the
>  orig.tar.gz is not in main, none of the binaries derived from it can
>  be in main.

Hmm.  In

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200304/msg00451.html

Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> I don't have any problem with an .orig.tar.gz that includes
> redistributable but non-DFSG-free stuff, as long as (eg) the .diff.gz
> removes those files.

on the other hand, the FTP admins disagree

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200305/msg00092.html

Branden Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I once had a big old nasty flamewar with the FTP admins that
> was tangentially related to this point, but the FTP admins and I agreed
> that having non-free source code in a package's .orig.tar.gz was
> unacceptable even if it wasn't "used for anything" and did not appear in
> any binary packages.

So I concede the point.  In any case, making a new orig.tar.gz isn't
any harder than having the diff take it out.

Regards,
Walter Landry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]