On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 04:12:20PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Modify the social contract to create a new section that would be
> distributed alongside main, and put the firmware in there.

This is the wrong mailing list for that sort of proposal.

Debian-project is probably a better list for that discussion.  Or, if
you feel that you've sorted out most of the views which are important
to other developers, debian-vote.

But, please realise that there will be other people focussing on other
issues who will interpret what you say in some fashion which is radically
different from the way you're thinking about it.

And, I think that you'll need to place some attention on slippery slope
issues, before a proposal to add a new "component of debian that's not
really free" section has any chance at all of getting accepted.

Personally, I'm more than a little dubious of the concept -- the role
of your proposed "new section" seems to be exactly the same role as
"non-free".  Except -- rather than being a convenience for some of our
web-connected users, you want it to have the operational status as main.

--
Raul