On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 11:09:53AM +0100, Gervase Markham wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> >Francesco isn't giving advice to people in Italy, he's giving advice to
> >people on debian-legal as a whole.  Given that unlicensed legal advice is a
> >criminal matter as Sean mentions, there is more to be concerned about than
> >his local laws.

> If this were true, the logical consequences are absurd. If I send an
> email to my friend Bob in the USA, suggesting that he should go to the
> judge and ask for leniency on his drink driving charge, I can now be
> arrested for committing a criminal offence next time I travel to the USA?

It's unlikely (Bob has to be in a jurisdiction within the US where offering
such legal advice is a criminal offense, and someone has to file charges,
and the police have to decide it's worth their bother to get a warrant for
your arrest, and the warrant has to come to the attention of someone you
come in contact with when you enter the US), but seems possible.

> Whatever happened to the First Amendment?

Do you also count on First Amendment protection against charges of libel,
slander, and false advertising?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                   http://www.debian.org/