Mike Hommey <m...@glandium.org> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:31:30PM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Those are (as far as I understand) published by the OpenSearch
> > protocol, and explicitly sent using that protocol by the search
> > provider as “an image that can be used in association with this
> > search content”
> > <URL:http://www.opensearch.org/Specifications/OpenSearch/1.1#The_.22Image.22_element>.
> >
> > I think any party publishing the image via that protocol would have a
> > hard time trying to argue that it's not allowed to be shown in the UI
> > for that search provider.
>
> It's not because the images are allowed to be shown in the UI that they
> magically become free under the DFSG.

That's quite true, good point. Is it the case, then, that the icons are
shipped by Debian? Or are they downloaded when the web browser first
reads the user's list of search providers?

--
 \       “Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a |
  `\                  good example.” —Mark Twain, _Pudd'n'head Wilson_ |