Tim Haynes <thay...@openlinksw.com> writes:

> I hope this is the most appropriate place for this question; if not,
> my apologies.

Yes, this is a forum explicitly for discussing the legality of
distributing works in the Debian system.

> I would like to check whether I can include in my project a Javascript
> source file, licensed under CC by-SA v2.5.
>
> The DFSGLicenses page[0] permits v3.0 and v4.0, but excludes v1.0 of
> this licence.
>
> The licence itself[1] has a clause 4b stating I "...may distribute,
> publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform a
> Derivative Work only under the terms of this License, a later version of
> this License with the same License Elements as this License, ...".
>
> Can I claim to be using it under v3.0 and include it in a Debian package
> without conflict?

Your analysis agrees with mine, that you have explicit permission from
the copyright holder to do this.

Whether the whole work is DFSG-compatible depends also on the license
conditions of the other parts of the work.

--
 \     “An eye for an eye would make the whole world blind.” —Mohandas |
  `\                                                         K. Gandhi |