Jeff Epler <jep...@unpythonic.net> writes:

> It looks like this odd license text has been corrected in the file
> Makefile.in.in from GNU gettext 0.19.4, and possibly in earlier versions.
>
> # Makefile for PO directory in any package using GNU gettext.
> # Copyright (C) 1995-1997, 2000-2007, 2009-2010 by Ulrich Drepper
> <drep...@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
> #
> # This file can be copied and used freely without restrictions.  It can
> # be used in projects which are not available under the GNU General Public
> # License but which still want to provide support for the GNU gettext
> # functionality.
> # Please note that the actual code of GNU gettext is covered by the GNU
> # General Public License and is *not* in the public domain.
> #
> # Origin: gettext-0.19

That's a marked improvement in clarifying some of the contradictory text.

It still suffers the primary problem: it grants only permissions to
“copy”, and the meaningless permission to “use”. It does not explicitly
grant permission to modify, nor to redistribute modified versions, nor
to redistribute under the same license terms.

So IMO it still fails the DFSG.

> Since this file originates from GNU, perhaps they would be amenable to
> reissuing it with terms like the GNU All-Permissive License, as
> mentioned at
>     http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GNUAllPermissive
>
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/License-Notices-for-Other-Files.html

That would be a good replacement. Another, perhaps even better-known,
replacement text would be the terms of the Expat license.

--
 \         “If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we |
  `\           despise, we don't believe in it at all.” —Noam Chomsky, |