Richard Fontana <rfont...@redhat.com> writes:

> I do not know whether Debian considers the Douglas Crockford license
> (or, if you will, copyrightable material covered by the Douglas
> Crockford license) to be nonfree. Fedora classifies this license as
> nonfree.

It's difficult to get official positions on what the Debian Project
(specifically, the “FTP masters team”) considers free or non-free.

My understanding is that the consensus in the team is that the “good,
not evil” clause is a trivially-clear violation of DFSG §6. Thus any
such work is non-free.

> None of this makes me inclined to see Dave's code as something other
> than a derivative work of Crockford's jsmin.c. I have never really
> attempted to compare the two though.

I have nothing more to add, your analysis seems correct.

We have JSHint available under free-software terms now
<URL:https://github.com/jshint/jshint/issues/1234#issuecomment-59986305>,
due to far too much needless work by far too many people, and presumably
to Douglas Crockford's ongoing amusement.

But this does not, AIUI, carry over to other works licensed with the
non-free “good, not evil” clause, such as JSON or JSLint or JSMin. They
remain non-free, as does any work that includes them or is derived from
them.

Looking forward to some party with enough influence (like the Eclipse
Project or IBM), or luck, to convince Douglas Crockford to explicitly
grant a transferrable license under conventional free-software terms to
all his popular works.

--
 \     “Why doesn't Python warn that it's not 100% perfect? Are people |
  `\         just supposed to “know” this, magically?” —Mitya Sirenef, |