Le Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:49:03AM +0200, Ole Streicher a écrit :

> For one of my packages (python-astropy), I got a Lintian error that it
> would contain a non-source file jquery.dataTables.js. This is mainly
> discussed in a bug report
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/798900
>
> however it seems that the problem is more general. The python-astropy
> package indeed contains a file jquery.dataTables.js, which for me,
> however, looks like a good source: It is well readable, it contains
> comments, etc.:
>
> https://sources.debian.net/src/python-astropy/1.0.4-1/astropy/extern/js/jquery.dataTables.js/
>
> However, it contains one line
>
> /*globals $, jQuery,define,_fnExternApiFunc,[...]
>
> which is ~1400 characters long and may be automatically inserted. This
> line is now taken by lintian as indication that the file is not a source
> file. Aside from the question whether this heuristics is too simple, I
> am now curious on how a "source" is defined in the Debian context. Is it
> f.e. required that every single character was inserted manually? Or that
> at least some of the content was created manually?

Hi Ole,

looking at the upstream work on GitHub
(https://github.com/DataTables/DataTablesSrc),
I see that the long line is changed from time to time in commits that change
other lines as well.  Therefore, it does not look like jquery.dataTables.js is
an autogenerated file.

Maybe the long line was machine-generated at the beginning, but it does not
matter anymore.  By all means, the file is regularly edited like any as a
source file.

And by the way, while anybody is free to disbelieve that a file is a real
source file, the only persons whose judgement really matter on that subject are
the members of the FTP team.  So you are free to disagree with random bug
reporters, and they are free to escalate it if they are not convinced by your
arguments, but in the meantime, Debian's point of view is that the file is
source unless the contrary has been demonstrated, given that it has passed the
screening of the FTP team when it entered our archive.  You can also add
Lintian overrides if the Lintian maintainers are uncooperative.

Thanks for your hard work, and have a nice day,

Charles Plessy

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan