As long as you comply with the GPL, this is perfectly acceptable. Note that
this includes making source code available and allowing licensees to
redistribute your OS freely, so charging for your version might not be the
most effective way go make money—I could just throw up an iso torrent for
free—but it could work.

RedHat, for example, charges for RHEL (packaged with support). CentOS was a
famous fork that originally only changed trademarkable features (names and
logos) and charged one vent per copy. This didn't stop RedHat from becoming
a profitable venture, of course.