On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 12:47:15PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> El 10/9/23 a las 4:09, Russ Allbery escribió:
> > I therefore would like to propose a first: I think Policy should simply
> > say that any package that provides a system service should use debhelper
> > and rely on dh_installsystemd to put the appropriate commands in its
> > maintainer scripts.  (We can then discuss whether we should do the same
> > for init scripts and dh_installinit, although its stanzas are simpler.)
>
> Hello. I don't like this approach, and I believe we are mixing two different
> things
> here. One of them is our ability (or lack thereof) of policy to catch up with
> real development done elsewhere. Another one is the fact that policy does
> not mandate any given implementation.

I agree. The issue is that we need to document what dh_installsystemd should do,
otherwise we will not be able to distinguish between bug in dh_installsystemd
and
intended behaviour, and we will end up freezing dh_installsystemd to avoid
introducing
problem by breaking incidental interfaces.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballo...@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.