Russ Allbery:
Bill Allombert <ballo...@debian.org> writes:

[...]  Quite a lot of Policy is of the general format "here's a bunch of
complex things you need to do, wait, never mind, just use debhelper, go
see its documentation for the configuration files you should use instead"
and some of the rest of Policy is "here's a bunch of complex things you
need to do but if you follow these instructions instead of using debhelper
your package will be buggy."  This is not ideal!

I think there's a lot of appeal of having a thorough specification for
what debhelper is supposed to be doing.  It would enable future
competition around better packaging helpers (and I do think debhelper will
not be the last word).  But I also want to be realistic about whether
we're really capable of maintaining that specification.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Indeed. I have had the same challenge with the Policy.

I had a look at the introduction section of Policy to check who the target audience is. I cannot find an explicit mention of the target audience. I suspect there is a conflict here on the content because we have different audiences in mind for the Policy and the Policy does not seem to be explicit here.

If the target audience is package maintainers, then 100% of all debian contributors should read it. Then we need "simple and easy to understand" language and examples, because we want *everybody* to understand this. I agree with Russ that long winded sections of "here is how you do this manually but really just use debhelper" is directly counter productive to this audience.

If it is cross-package integration, are we targeting the ones integrating or the ones providing the integration points? If it is both, then for more complex topics, it would make sense to split the topic into two. One for consumer and one for the provider of the integration, because for the consumer it will probably boil down to "install path at $X in your deb and run tool $Y" and then the consumer can skip the provider section as "not relevant".

There is a separate here in whether the Policy editors have the capacity to maintain the documentation for the provider side of the integration points for all the integrations. I think this is where Russ is arguing that we do not that capacity. If so, it would also make sense to explicitly cut *out* that side of from policy in the Scope section. Maybe along the lines of "The Policy does not document the provider side of integration points directly. Instead, we provide links to the external documentation where available.".

If the target audience is tool-chain maintainers, then only 5-10 people need to read the policy and the entire document + related process seems completely over-engineered. But then, for the same reason, I suspect this is an unlikely target audience for the Policy.

Either way, I think the root problem is that we are not all agreeing on scope and audience for the Policy. Until resolved, we can argue forever about whether X belongs in Policy.

Best regards,
Niels

PS: I also have other things to say about the concrete topic, but I will leave that for a later mail. I think the point above is so important that it should not be diluted with other topics.