On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 12:51:33PM -0400, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> On 2018-06-14 11:42:22, Simon McVittie wrote:
> > Debian can choose to put games in the /.../games directories, or in the
> > standard directories /usr/bin, /usr/share etc., or any mixture of our
> > choice, orthogonal to whether/when we move to FHS 3.0.
>
> It's been a while since this was discussed, but I have just learned of
> this issue, so sorry for bumping an old thread but...
>
> I have recently learned that FreeBSD moved their games out of /usr/games
> and into /usr/bin. Things like rot13(6), fortune(6), primes(6) are all
> in the main PATH now, amazing no? :)
>
> That happened in 2015:
>
> https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/ObsoleteFiles.inc?id=11d9aa670723f508821f2bf6980a555360783a80
>
> I wonder if we should just do the same. I'm not sure I see the point of
> having all that stuff in a separate directory, personnally, but at least
> in this case we shouldn't needlessly diverge from upstream... although
> in terms of upstream for bsd-games, things are kind of hazy, at best,
> from what I understand.

I do not see any advantage over /usr/games.

On the other hand, /usr/games allows:
- priviledged accounts to omit /usr/games in their path (root does not have it
e.g)
- quickly find which games are installed on a system (ls /usr/games).
- have a separate partitions for game data (which are amongst the largest
Debian package)
- have a specific policy for /var/games

Cheers,
Bill