Antoine Beaupré <anar...@debian.org> writes:
> On 2023-09-11 11:25:34, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Antoine Beaupré <anar...@debian.org> writes:

>>> I get the argument against bad binaries not being in PATH but we have
>>> some tooling for that, don't we? /usr/libexec, no?

>> /usr/libexec isn't a replacement because it's not on any user's PATH.
>> /usr/games is intended to be added to a regular user's path but not
>> root's, which is a distinct use case.

> That's an odd argument to make: /usr/games isn't on any user's PATH
> either, is it?

It's common to add it, and I'm fairly sure we have documentation that
tells you to add it, whereas adding /usr/libexec to your PATH is a bug and
something that you should not do.  The binaries in /usr/libexec are not
intended to be invoked directly, may conflict with other binaries, may do
bizarre things when run from the command line, etc.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>