On 08/06/2017 05:37 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2017-08-06 10:44:36 -0400 (-0400), Allison Randal wrote:
>> The OpenStack packaging team has been sprinting at DebCamp, and
>> we're finally ready to move all general Python dependencies for
>> OpenStack over to DPMT. (We'll keep maintaining them, just within
>> DPMT using the DPMT workflow.)
>>
>> After chatting with tumbleweed, the current suggestion is that we
>> should migrate the packages straight into gbp pq instead of making
>> an intermediate stop with git-dpm.
> [...]
>
> More a personal curiosity on my part (I'm now a little disappointed
> that I didn't make time to attend), but are you planning to leverage
> pristine tarballs as part of this workflow shift so you can take
> advantage of the version details set in the sdist metadata and the
> detached OpenPGP signatures provided upstream? Or are you sticking
> with operating on a local fork of upstream Git repositories (and
> generating intermediate sdists on the fly or supplying version data
> directly from the environment via debian/rules)?
>
> I'm eager to see what upstream release management features you're
> taking advantage of so we can better know which of those efforts are
> valuable to distro package maintainers

Jeremy,

If you think what Alison described includes artifacts from upstream
OpenStack, you're mistaking. She was talking about moving *general
purpose* Python libraries only. The rest of will continue to use the
workflow of generating orig files using "git archive".

At least, that's what I understand from our sprint meetings, and that is
if anyone (but me) in the team dares to start doing a little bit of
packaging, which I haven't seen happening so far...

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)