Dear Simon,

thanks for your thougths.

Am 28.07.2023 14:44 schrieb Simon McVittie:
The other angle this could be approached from is as an upstream developer:

IMHO this is the only angle it should be approached from because it is upstreams responsibility and Debian shouldn't waste resources and solving other ones problems. ;)

fake HOME directory

To my defense I have to say I'm not the founder just a member of the current upstream maintenance team. I haven't written that tests. Using a fake file ystem or temp folder as HOME won't solve problems with the test suite because there is much more hidden in it. In summary despite some exceptions there are no unit tests just integration and system tests.