On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 07:59:47AM -0500, chandler wrote:
> Similarly, after a recent apt-get dist-upgrade (intended to grab security
> updates only,

Then why did you dist-upgrade?  I think it's pretty self-explanatory
that if you're upgrading from one distribution to another (like from
stable to testing) you use dist-upgrade.  If you're upgrading for
security and bug fixes, you use upgrade.

> so should I remove the non security.debian.org URLs from
> /apt/sources?)

No, just don't use dist-upgrade and make sure all of your sources are
pointing to the correct distribution of Debian you are tracking.

> on my firewall box, I somehow managed to get all of X windows
> installed and a copule of services I didn't want installed AND started AND
> added to /etc/rc*.d. Thankfully X windows still requires "startx" to get
> going, but the services (junkbuster and wwwoffle) were just there. And while
> reboots on that machine are limited to power outages, it's still extra work
> to administer that stuff into the 'off' position.

apt-get remove junkbuster wwwoffle --purge
Not so hard to me.

> To me the lack of warnings or configurability during an apt-get install for a
> service is a questionable practice.

Have you ever bothered to lower your message priority in debconf?
dpkg-reconfigure debconf.  Choose 'low'.

Learn about the tools before you start to criticize them.

-Rob