On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 07:28:31PM -0500, Kenneth Pronovici wrote:
> > > If you're upgrading for
> > > security and bug fixes, you use upgrade.
>
> In michael's defense, take this entry from the apt-get mapage:
>
>        dist-upgrade
>               dist-upgrade, in addition to performing  the  func­
>               tion  of upgrade, also intelligently handles chang­
>               ing dependencies with  new  versions  of  packages;
                                       ^^^
Yes, but when you're upgrading your existing packages, and the
dependencies have changed to such a degree to require *new* packages,
that almost always implies a major change, such as a stable -> testing
transition, not a security fix for a package in stable (which is what
security.debian.org is for).  Upgrade does exactly as it implies, it
upgrades your existing packages, and under no circumstances installs
anything new, avoiding the whole "I tried to upgrade to some security
fixes and ended up with XFree86 and KDE" issues.

-Rob