On 02/04/2018 05:47 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Downgrading binutils doesn’t make any sense unless you are building something
yourself.

Try generating a backtrace or at least find the package which is responsible.

We haven’t seen your segfault anywhere so far, that’s why I don’t know where to
look.

Ok, after downgrading all upgraded packages to their original versions (where and if possible) plus recreating initramfs and rebooting, logins via serial console started working again.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the problematic package(s) by selectively upgrading suspects later on. After a number of tries I gave up on this approach and did a dist-upgrade again. Checking the package versions I noticed that some gcc related packages got installed from the "experimental" suite with *8-* version numbers. This wasn't the case yesterday (the "experimental" suite was deactivated in my `/etc/apt/sources.list` since some testing in January) so I downgraded the following packgages:

* libcc1-0 (8-20180130-1 => 7.3.0-1+b1)
* libgcc1 (1:8-20180130-1 => 1:7.3.0-1+b1)
* libstdc++6 (8-20180130-1 => 7.3.0-1+b1)

...to see if this makes a difference and after recreating the initramfs and rebooting, I again got segfaults when trying to login.

So better ignore the *7.3.0-1+b1 versions of these packages and use the ones from the "experimental" suite or wait for a fix, if you depend on serial logins.

Cheers,
Frank