On Sat, 27 Dec 1997 00:42:24, Timothy Hospedales wrote:
> wow! I can finally get online with my linux box!:). Thanx 2 everyone who
> gave me advice.
> I'm looking for a mail (perferably X based) program to receive/send email
> from my ISP's POP3 server. Can anyone recomend a good one for me?

I tried a number of approaches and I can recommend:

Mail Transport Agent: smail
Mail Forwarding Agent: fetchmail
Mail User Agent (email client): exmh
Mail Filter: procmail (optional)

You could use exmh to retrieve your email, but using fetchmail is more
modular, which has benefits if you want to use another email client,
which also might be useful in console mode if X-windows wasn't
available.

Mail config info I found useful in addition to books, HOWTOs, man pages:

Steve Kosteke's:  http://www.mindspring.com/~stk3/linux/ppp/

Daniel Martin's:  http://www.math.jhu.edu/~martind/mybox.html

--
David Stern