>> On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Jaakko Niemi wrote:
>>
>> >  Which version ? Hamm or bo ?
>>
>> 1.3.1
>>
>> >  Do you have a permanent connection or a dial-up ?
>> dial-up.
>>

>> >  How does exim.conf look ?
>>
>> I re-installed exim to get exim.conf again.  I made some progress.  I do
>> not know what I did differently, but Pine would accept a message sent
>> locally, put it in the mailq, but eximon wouldn't see it, neither would
>> pine.

As root exim -bp shows the queue.

>> [EMAIL PROTECTED](28)$ eximon &
>> [1] 821
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED](29)$
>> Exim Monitor version 1.23 (compiled 4-Mar-1997 15:28:01) initializing
>> *** eximon warning: can't open log file

 This is because you are running as user, and you do not have permissions
 to /var/log/exim. As the files are owned mail.mail add yourself to group mail
 and you should be able to run eximon right.

>> Exim Monitor running
>>
>> Here is my exim.conf (I removed the commented lines):
>> qualify_domain = alpha.futurenet.co.za
>> local_domains = alpha.futurenet.co.za

 I have otherwise identical configuration, but this line:

local_domains = lonesom.pp.fi:lonesom.pp.fi

Besides Pine, have you tries any other MUAs, mail for ex. ?

        --j