Brian Morgan wrote:

> I've got kind of a rather lengthy question about windows machines
> printing to a linux print server.  I'm rather new at this, but was asked
> to investigate these possibilities.  Any help I could get would be
> great.
>
> I'm running hamm, 2.0.33 kernel, and need to connect several printers on
> our campus to the linux print server (whatever that may be:  I don't
> know.  Is there a print server type package I need to have installed?)

samba is the package you need to allow WinXX boxes to print to your printer.
You'll also need a print spooling daemon. Try the lprng package.

> All the printers will have ip addresses, via HP jetdirect boxes and
> cards.  I will have several laptops that will need to be able to print
> to these printers.  All the laptops will be running windows 98.
>
> I'm also running samba on my linux box, but haven't quite got the hang
> of it yet (getting closer).  Is this the service I need to allow the
> windows machines to print to the linux print server?  Do I need to
> specify anything in the smb.conf file (ip addresses, etc.) or is that
> done somewhere else in a different package?

Yeah, you may need to edit /etc/smb.conf, though the default may be enough. To
make things easy you can put

  load printers = yes
  printing = bsd

in your [global] section. If you need to supply drivers automatically your setup
will be more involved. You may refer to /usr/doc/samba/Printing.txt.gz in this
case.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]