> trying to get Window Maker working and I can't figure out what this
means:

> /usr/X11R6/bin/WindowMaker fatal error: could not open display ""

It means that the wmaker executable couldn't find a X window server
running or that it can access.

I take it you are typing that on a console. (DOS-lie command prompt)
Therefore, wmaker can't find a running X server. (Even if one already
is running. It checks only in the TTY you are, right now that being a
console)

If you DO have a X server running, type 'wmaker :0' (without the
quotes, as you probably had figured). That's a nice trick to start
programs from a console to a X display.

But then, a windowmanager just isn't any kind of program. There is a
automatically ran script when X starts and that command should be put
there. If you used dpkg/dselect/apt (read: the wmaker<something>.deb
file) to install wmaker, that has already been taken care of, and all
you need to do is to start X and wmaker will start on its own.

> I get that when I type "wmaker" at my prompt.  I've just configured my
> display, so I don't know how to save that as my WindowMaker default
> display.  Any suggestions?

If I recall correctly, you'll be in the OpenLook windowmanager by
default. Find an empty space on the desktop and click one of the
buttons of the mouse (i don't remember which one, try all of 'em =).
There should be an option to switch to windowmaker. (That change also
should be permanent, if nothing goes wrong)

> Thanks muchly :)

> PS Yes this is my first Debian install, so I'm a newbie!

Bah, we've all been in that newbie club once in our life. There's no
shame in that =)

Christian Lavoie
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
UIN: 947212