On 12/04/99 08:36PM, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> > What do you mean?
>
> What do you find hard to imagine? That Linux will be forked into several
> competing proprietary incarnations, much as Unix has? What were the job
> prospects last year for a c/c++ programmer who insisted on working on
> GNU/Linux-based projects? This year? Next year?  How much investment capital
> flowed into Linux-related enterprises last year? This year? Next year?

Doesn't the word proprietary go against everything the open source
movement sought to change? I mean, say a company, MacroShaft, takes the
linux kernel and just the kernel and then writes all its own supporting
software. They call it MacroShaft Linux and distribute it. Sure its
99.99% proprietary, and that portion will never see the kind of
improvment that its open source equivalents experience. Consumers will
realize that Macroshaft Linux reminds them of some other historic
OS--crappy support and it's buggy. I don't think that the proprietary
incarnations can survive. I mean, they have to pay those developers
somehow.

I don't know. I may have missed the boat completely here. In that
case, toss me a life preserver :)

> C'mon Mark! Connect the dots! <g>

I never was very good at those :)

> Money changes people. And money talks and bs walks. That's all I'm saying.

You paint a dismal picture. I just hope that the powers that be
(Stallman, Torvalds, Raymond, etc.) remain committed to their beliefs.

 ) Mark Wagnon      ) [EMAIL PROTECTED]      )
(  Chula Vista, CA (  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (