On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 06:05:35PM -0800, Rick Dooling wrote:

> I know about Debian Reference and Debian Help site, but I'm more
> interested in a list of common how-tos that most people would like to
> do after installation, such as add mp3 playing ability, installing
> flash, mounting usb drives or ntfs drives and so on, the sort of
> things found in Martin's Ubuntu How-To. I know that some work in both.
> I guess I'm just curious if a similar thing already exists for Debian.
> And if not would it be a useful project to redo the Ubuntu How-To with
> an eye toward the Debian user.

The problem would be all the variation possible in Debian.  I use
Aptitude in interactive mode and would search for an mp3 player.  Others
would use apt-get.  I run amd64 and had to setup a chroot i386 to get
flash running in Etch.  I mount USB sticks by adding an entry in
/etc/fstab and a mount point then just mounting them with mount.  Others
use one of at least three Desktop Environments each with their own
method.

Since all the documentation is already provided on how to do each of
these with whatever tools are installed on the user's box, the most
important skill for the new Debian user to have is howto find and use
the documentation.

Doug.