On Mon Dec 31, 2007 at 08:13:31 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Not all the docs are under /usr/share/doc/[package name], some are under
> usr/share/[package name] with no apparent rhyme nor reason. Then, everything
> is
> gzipped, should the user extract these to their home folder or is there a
> particular method to read these as they stand?

  If you have less installed you can run:

  zless README.gz

  That will decompress to a pipe and let you read it.  If you run
 'eval $(lessfile' you could just run 'less README.gz' instead.

> As was stated many other disto's have these n00b pages for a quick reference
> get us up to speed so that we can start figuring out how to do things on our
> own. Many n00bs are reticient to post to lists or forums as they often
> receive

  You could do worse than look at the 'doc-debian' package:

 In this package, you will find:
   * Debian Linux Manifesto,
   * Constitution for the Debian Project,
   * Debian GNU/Linux Social Contract,
   * Debian Free Software Guidelines.
 .
 Additionally provided are:
   * Debian GNU/Linux Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ),
   * Debian Bug Tracking System documentation, and
   * Introduction to the Debian mailing lists.
 .

 All of these files are available at ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/ and
 mirrors thereof.

> I've yet to find anything on somehow efficiently searching archives for fixes
> to problems that may have already been solved.  Sometimes it's just a matter
> of
> using the proper key words.

  If a problem is fixed in a package then you should already have it!
 (Unless you see it in a stable release and it was only fixed in unstable)
 But I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean in this point

  Does this help:

    http://bugs.debian.org/'package name'

 e.g.

    http://bugs.debian.org/less