Alan Chandler wrote:
> Chris Lale writes:
>> Daniel Burrows wrote:
>> [...]
>>>   For instance, today I wanted to read up on git hook scripts.  I
>>> checked the manual page git(1), and saw the note:
>>>      Read hooks[9] for more details about each hook.
>>>      9. hooks
>>>         hooks.html
>>>   Being an experienced Debian user, I knew that I needed to look in
>>> /usr/share/doc/git to find the rest of the documentation.  Except that's
>>> not right, because there is no "git" package.
>> [...]
>> Does this documentation show up in dwww? I can't check this in Etch -
>> git-buildpackage will not install because of dependency problems.
>

> Its in package git-doc and is therefore in the /usr/share/doc/git-doc
> directory

Thanks. hooks.html is exactly where you say after installing git-doc. It does
not show up in dwww though - presumably because its not registered with
doc-base.

BTW, "dpkg -S $(which git)" does not work with only the git-doc package
installed. This works though (filtering a search for "git" to show the result of
"git" and "hooks"):

        $ dpkg -S git | grep hooks
        git-doc: /usr/share/doc/git-doc/hooks.html
        git-doc: /usr/share/doc/git-doc/hooks.txt

Cheers,

--
Chris.