On May 20, 2011, at 3:12 AM, Camaleón wrote:

On Thu, 19 May 2011 16:50:45 -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:

Anybody know what driver I should be using in Debian Squeeze for my new
Epson Stylus NX420 printer?

There's no NX420 in the list of drivers offered by the CUPS web
interface.

Your printer is listed here:

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Epson/Epson-NX420_Series

So you can try with the Avasys driver (epson-nx420), at least for
printing. If you also want to use the scanning facility, there is also a
standalone driver/utility for the scanner:

http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/download/

Thanks, Camaleón! I'd already discovered openprinting.org. As I described in my reply to Roger's email, it wasn't a "perfect" solution, but it got me up and running after a bit of kludging.

Rick