Actually, the evidence in this particular case is pretty optimistic:

1) I was able to find a (binary i386/AMD64 only) driver at OpenPrinting.Org with only a little bit of google-ing.

2) When I whined about not being able to use i386 binaries on my ARM machine, Camaleón (thanks!) found a source RPM at the same site. I haven't taken the RPM apart and compiled it yet, but it's certainly a start.

If Epson had a hand in making that driver available to OpenPrinting, I'd have to say they care more than most about their non-Windows users.

For my money, we'd all be better off if the energy expended in complaining about lack of support for open source by commercial companies (who have a fiduciary --hence legal-- responsibility to their share holders, and only a somewhat tenuous moral responsibility to open-source users) were better used in figuring out why it seg- faults when used as a CUPS network printer.

If you really support open source software, put your time and talent where your mouth is. Help make it better!

Just my two cents...

Rick