On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 19:00:33 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 05:12:35PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
>> Some non-packaged software, e.g. the BOINC client, requires a
>> relatively recent version of glibc.

There always be some package that requires some version for some library.
This loop can only be broken when using rolling-alike linux distributions
(or you have the patience to do the manual job without breaking a current
system).

>> Wheezy, the latest non-unstable version of Debian, is stuck at 2.13,
>> released 1.5 years ago, and since it is frozen there won't be a new
>> glibc available for some undetermined amount of time probably not less
>> than six months.

Sid also shares the same version since July, very recent.

>> So aside from waiting for jessie to exist, what are my options?

Your options for "today"? Self-compiling. Your options for the long-term?
Sticking to Sid.

>> Has anyone tried installing glibc from unstable in a Wheezy system? How
>> usable is sid, these days?

No, too dangerous to my taste.

> Never mind, I just checked and Sid is also running 2.13. Apparently I'd
> have to use ANOTHER DISTRO to get a glibc less than 18 months old.
>
> Really?
>
> Developers: really?

The core of developers are not here.

> I gauess the only way to get an answer to the above rhetorical question
> would be to file a bug against glibc--that's how to reach the glibc
> team, right?

Maybe there's a compelling reason for still using such "old" version of
glibc but asking to people in charge is not going to do any bad.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón