Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
2) Can someone please tell me if this hard drive is dying. The following is
the difference between two smartctl outputs that are a week apart.

58c58
<   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   100   100   046    Pre-fail  Always
-       74727
---
   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   100   100   046    Pre-fail  Always
-       108562

oh yes, badly -- I've generally found that if the raw_read_error_rate is
anything other than 0, a drive is on its last legs

I expect that you've noticed your machine running increasingly slowly of
late (as it takes larger numbers of attempts before the drive
successfully reads a data block)

Miles Fidelman