On 2/3/2013 8:56 AM, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> I am using Oracle VirtualBox (v 4.2.6 r82870) as a testbed for Wheezy
> Testing before upgrading my production linux computer.  The software is
> installed on my 64 bit Dell Inspiron laptop with 8 GB of RAM running MS Win
>
> 7 Professional as the primary OS.
> KInfoCenter ...using only 4.47 GB

        Debian          Debian
           |               |
        Virtual         Hardware
          Box

        Windows

        Hardware

Windows 7 and Virtual box are likely using and reserving RAM for the
Windows environment, and allocating some amount to the virtual machine.
 In this case that' appears to be 4.5 to 5GB.

Reading the VirtualBox documentation will very likely answer all of your
questions relating to this.  The "problem" is almost certainly not with
Debian.  There's probably a menu box somewhere that allows you to
configure the amount of memory for the virtual machine.

--
Stan