On 21/09/14 06:23 PM, KS wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently reinstalled my system on two SDD that I got (Intel 530 240GB
> -f/w updated and a Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB - f/w 520ABFF0
> (latest 525ABFF0)). I have the main system running on the Intel SSD
> (LVM) and a partition on the Kingston for my VMs.
>
> Off lately, I have noticed that the VMs (Windows or Linux) take more
> than a minute to give me the login screen. I have destroyed a Linux Mint
> VM completely and reinstalled it with no change in performance. My
> physical system starts up and gives me the login screen in less than 30sec!
>
> hdparm gives me the performance of Kingston as below (a normal HDD gives
> 75MB/s buffered reads):
>
> /dev/sdd:
>  Timing buffered disk reads:   8 MB in  3.31 seconds =   2.41 MB/sec
>
> while the Intel:
> /dev/sda1:
>  Timing buffered disk reads: 186 MB in  0.61 seconds = 304.46 MB/sec

Another piece of information:
smartmontools shows for Kingston
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)

but hdparm -i /dev/sdd does not indicate UDMA setting
 PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
 UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 udma6

The Intel shows that it is udma6 though.

KS