On Sunday 09 August 2015 11:50:48 Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 06:43:15 -0400
> Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI <ren...@olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Renaud,
>
> >I cannot understand why the UK has not followed the other countries
> >that have ditched TV licensing, and all the attending bureaucracy, and
> >replaced it with a single check box on the income tax form...
>
> Because it's not a tax.

In effect, it is an apothecated tax.  But we are reluctant to acknowledge
that.

> The money doesn't go to the govt, it goes to
> the BBC.  License revenue is still 40% (IIRC) of their revenue.

78% in 14/15

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom

The money that the BBC did get from the government has been withdrawn, but
free licences are to continue, so that there is the beginning of a movement
among the elderly for the abolition of the free licences.

As I said, a minefield with tremendous political sensitivity and controversy.

Lisi