On Sunday 09 August 2015 21:51:10 Richard Owlett wrote:
> Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> >> Because it's not a tax.
> >
> > In effect, it is an apothecated tax.  But we are reluctant to acknowledge
> > that.

Typo and old age with recalcitrant fingers.  Also lousy proof reading.  I
believe taht I have mentioned taht before.  Sorry. :-(

HYpothecated.

> I did a duckduckgo search for "apothecated". I got a bunch of
> colonial dictionaries. Their definitions seemed to make no sense
> in context.
>
> What's the Crown's definition?
> P.S. I've been been fascinated by linguistics for > .5 century
> due to Latin teacher reputed to have tutored Romulus et al and an
> English teacher reciting Beowulf in "original" with a running
> translation [*NOTE BENE* the quotation marks ;]
>
> Paraphrasing 'somebody', "Inquiring minds want to know".

2. to allocate the revenue raised by a tax for a specified purpose
http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/hypothecated?showCookiePolicy=true

Lisi