On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 11:50:48 +0100
Brad Rogers <b...@fineby.me.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 06:43:15 -0400
> Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI <ren...@olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Renaud,
>
> >I cannot understand why the UK has not followed the other countries
> >that have ditched TV licensing, and all the attending bureaucracy,
> >and replaced it with a single check box on the income tax form...
>
> Because it's not a tax.  The money doesn't go to the govt, it goes to
> the BBC.  License revenue is still 40% (IIRC) of their revenue.

Non-payment is a criminal offence, not a breach of contract, and is
potentially punishable by imprisonment.

The BBC does not have the powers of prosecution and imprisonment.

Where the money ends up is irrelevant, it is collected by UK law,
enforced by the UK government and courts.

If it walks like a duck, etc., and when the government robs me, it's
called 'tax'.

--
Joe