On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 20:00:01 -0400
Anthony Maples <anthonym7...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/19/2015 12:13 AM, bri...@aracnet.com wrote:
> >
> > Audacious works because it allows me to select the audio device.
> >
> > However playing audio in iceweasel does not work.
> >
> > Why not ?
> >
> > Who the heck knows.
> >
> > Humorously i think that's the reason i installed pulse-audio in
> > the first place.
> >
> > Been going through the usual sources- nothing works so far.
> >
> > Any ideas ?
> >

> > Brian
> >

> Can you post the output of "aplay -l" and the contents of
> /etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc?
>
> My thought is that you have multiple sound cards and ALSA by default is
> selecting the wrong one.  Are other programs (ones that don't let you
> select the sound card/audio device) having the same issue?

I was trying to play something in the browser and noticed that it was invoking
aplay.

so i downloaded the audiofile and tried to play it on the command line and got
this :

Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
aplay: set_params:1233: Sample format non available
Available formats:
- S16_LE

another one of those problems that shows up all over the place, but no one
seems to be able to fix.

(and yes the answer is to invoke some sort of resampling, but that's not very
useful if iceweasel doesn't know that)

Brian