On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 17:33:28 +0200
Nicolas George <geo...@nsup.org> wrote:

> Le quintidi 5 fructidor, an CCXXIII, bri...@aracnet.com a écrit :
> > > Can you post the output of "aplay -l" and the contents of
> > > /etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc?
>
> Do you realize you did not provide the requested information that would help
> troubleshooting your problem?

yes i did. and the post is still in my inbox.  i've attached it again to the
end of this email.

> > I was trying to play something in the browser and noticed that it was
> > invoking aplay.
>
> That is rather surprising from the browser, but trying aplay is the right
> thing to do.
>
> > so i downloaded the audiofile and tried to play it on the command line and
> > got this :
> >
> > Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
> > aplay: set_params:1233: Sample format non available
> > Available formats:
> > - S16_LE
> >
> > another one of those problems that shows up all over the place, but no one
> > seems to be able to fix.
>
> I have given information on how to use aplay to investigate sound trouble in
> this mail:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/07/msg00648.html

aplay -f S16_LE -c 2 -r 48000 test.wav
Warning: format is changed to U8
Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
aplay: set_params:1233: Sample format non available
Available formats:
- S16_LE

lol. i specify the format it's telling me is available and it tells me the
format is not available.

> You also could have searched "sample format" in the man page for aplay(1).

sure, transcoding the file on the command line is no problem.

the problem is that iceweasel won't know how to transcode.

interestingly _some_ audio links DO play in iceweasel, but most don't.

youtube in particular does NOT work, and i am NOT using flash.

Thanks for your help,

Brian

i have no /etc/asound.conf because I am under the impression that if i had a
~/.asoundrc i didn't need it.

.asoundrc

pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 2
}

ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 2
}

card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: A2 [Audioengine 2+], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0