On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 09:45:03 +0200
"Gian Uberto Lauri" <sa...@eng.it>  wrote:

> Petter Adsen writes:
>  > On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 02:09:23 -0500
>  > rlhar...@oplink.net wrote:
>  > > How much do those things cost?  Now that a keyboard can be had for $10 or
>  > > $15, is it better to pay $150 or even $250 for a quality keyboard, or
>  > > replace a $15 keyboard every year or even every six months?
>  >
>  > I while back I bought a Razer Black Widow mechanical keyboard, and it
>  > cost about $100. They claim[1] that the switches will last up to 60
>  > million keystrokes, and sell both silent and clicky types. It's a
>  > really nicely built keyboard, and IMO good for typing. It also has USB
>  > and audio pass-through.
>
> I have a Cherry keyboard under my fingers. After some years of
> continuous usage (it's my office keyboard) the original caps lost the
> marking and I got the chance to make a custom coloured key-set.
>
> The keyboard is still the most comfortable I ever used.
>
> I'm planning giving Razer a try, I am willing to buy a K95 with all the left
> keys - they recall me the old Sun keyboards I used as a student.
>
> The RGB version could let me emulate the colors of my custom keyset
> (black fo alphanumeric keys, blue for "shifts", green "non printable",
> yellow for cursor movement, gray for function, red for esc and 'system
> requests' and orange for insert). But this is just to make a geek happy.

I do not know if that will work under Linux, you might want to check out
how the colors-thingy is set up. The keyboard I've got is the one with
no colored lights, so I can't test it, but all the other extra features
of this keyboard are configured via Windows-only "cloud" software and
require an initialization sequence to be sent. The Python script that
is available for Linux only enables the macro keys and the Fn + media
key combinations, AFAIK.

The Windows software will also auto-update the firmware in the
keyboard, and some people have had problems with initializing the extra
keys under Linux after updating the firmware. I've never run the Windows
software, and my keyboard works fine.

The keyboard model with no lights is also quite a bit cheaper, so you
might want to do some research before you get one with lights. You
could of course ask Razer for the information necessary to enable that
functionality yourself, but they seem quite uninterested in Linux.

> The Cherry microswitches will make your fingers happy!

So will the Razer mechanical switches, they are really nice for typing.
AFAIK all the keyboards they make except the BlackWidow series use
membranes, and I have no experience with those.

All in all, there are reasons for not choosing Razer if you run Linux,
but IMO they had the most comfortable keyboards that were readily
available in local shops when I needed one, and I'm very happy with it.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"