On Fri 20 Nov 2015 at 11:18:41 -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:

> After booting the Debian 8.2 netinst iso I noticed a couple of oddities.
>
> First, I selected advanced and rescue, but this seemed to end up walking me
> through the installer.  I was expecting to be dropped into a shell.  At the
> screen that asked for system name I switched virtual terminals.

Ye of little faith; the top left-hand of the screen says "Rescue mode".

Your expectations do not accord with what Rescue mode does to prepare
the environment for accessing the installer's commands, Which should
change - your expectations or the installer?

It's a pity you didn't progress from the step asking for the hostname.